Do you have any Independence Day plans yet? We will be headed to the lake with my in-laws and then hopefully go see fireworks. We always have a huge lunch that has so many left overs to last for dinner as well. Everyone brings something and I wanted to bring something festive and different this year. I'm not sure whether I'm going to bring a desert or main dish yet and since I don't have any patriotic food ideas of my own, I thought I would share some great ideas that I have found in my search to find the perfect recipe! You know these recipes are easy (because I am no cook) and since we are going to the lake they are easily portable as well. Some are healthy, some are not. Enjoy!
1. Chocolate Zucchini Donuts from Inside BruCrew Life:
"Chocolate (kind of sort of healthy) donuts…yes, please!!! These chocolate bites of goodness did not last long at all in our house! They were eaten for breakfast and snack time. I may have even eaten one (or more) for dinner! Why not? It has applesauce, yogurt, and zucchini all up in it…sounds like the perfect acceptable dinner to me:-)"
2. Jello Pudding Pops from no. 2 pencil:
"These Pudding Pops are so fun, and they are so delicious too. They taste just like the original Jello Pudding Pops. My kids absolutely loved these, and they can’t wait for me to make them again for our 4th of July party."
3. Red, White, & Blueberry Breakfast from Mom On Time Out:
"Using Eggo waffles makes this fun and patriotic breakfast come together in a snap."
4. Berry Flag Pull Apart Cake from Mommy & Things: "This showstopping flag dessert combines sweet vanilla cake with colorful strawberries and blueberries for a patriotic 4th of July treat."
5. Fruit Flag from The Frugal Girls: "Get fresh & fruity this 4th of July! Be sure to prepare this treat right before serving and use toothpicks for spearing the fruit!"
6. Strawberry Apple Pie from Family Feedbag: "I love me a pretty pie! The filling in this strawberry apple pie is so bright and beautiful it deserved a pie top that would really show it off. I pressed a star-shaped cookie cutter into my rolled out pastry dough until I had enough stars to layer atop the pie, leaving enough room in between to show off the ruby red yumminess inside."
7. Watermelon Star Cake from My Turn For Us: "This Watermelon Star Cake is a fun healthy way to celebrate Memorial Day or the 4th of July. OK, its not really a "cake" but it looks like one but without all those nasty little calories!! (I know I love those little calories also but so do my hips, LOL) This sweet cake is made with all fresh fruit and a low calorie cream topping."
8. Red, White, and Blueberry Lemonade Pops: "Now you can make this ice cream truck favorite at home! Simply freeze layers of berries, lemonade and creamy yogurt in pop molds. They’re perfect for the 4th of July and the rest of summer, too."
9. Angel Food Patriotic Delight from Tidy Mom:
"You know I’m all about simplicity, so when the awesome people at Lucky Leaf offered to send me some more of their fabulous pie filings and a few simple recipes that would look fantastic on the picnic table on Memorial Day, of course I said YES!"
10. Brownie & Berries Desert Pizza: "Want to wow a chocolate-craving crowd? Make a sweet dessert pizza topped with a creamy layer and tart berries." Try the Gluten-Free Version!
11. Berry Shortcake Stars: "This red, white and blue patriotic dessert may outshine the fireworks at your July 4th get-together!"
12. Red, White, and Blueberry Pasta Salad: "By using quick and easy stir-ins, Suddenly Salad can be whatever you make it: a simple side dish, star of the backyard BBQ, or a crowd-pleasing main course. With seven delicious flavors, there’s a Suddenly Salad mix for everyone and for any occasion. Simply follow the instructions on the box, or visit SuddenlySalad.com for delicious recipes."
13. Red, White, & Blue Independence Day Cake from Unusual to Tasty