We have a dog, two toddlers, and a smelly man that live in this house. So smells are NOT an uncommon occurrence. And I am constantly trying to think of creative ways to reduce the odors in here. I mean since I am a stay-at-home mom, I can't live in odors. I was having the most difficult time getting the stink out of this house.
On top of that, my daughter and I suffer from SERIOUS seasonal allergies and we both take allergy medication regularly. Sweet Pea's are so bad that she gets Seasonal Allergic Conjunctivitis routinely each year. The first year I just thought it was pink eye. But this year she was officially diagnosed with seasonal allergies and prescribed Claritin at the age of two! So it is very important to me to keep my house as odor and allergen free as possible.
There are a few things I can do to make it better and I’ve recently received the opportunity to implement one of those things. Filtrete Filters by 3M. There are 3 different filters that I can use throughout the year depending on what we need.
Scented candles, air fresheners, and sprays only masks the odor. It doesn’t eliminate it. And some of these products may release harmful chemicals or soot. I am not downing these products. I have used them myself on multiple occasions, but I want to make sure I am using the safest products for my family while getting rid of the smell.
- Has a unique two-sided design with one side that captures large airborne particles and the second side that removes household odors.
- Is the most effective 1″ odor-reduction filter at removing odors in the home – such as those from cooking, tobacco smoke, pets, mildew and cleaning chemicals – and is 65 times more effective* than other carbon filters (*Based on comparison of organic vapor capacity vs. other national retail filter furnace brands).
- Starts to remove even the strongest odor in minutes after the furnace fan is turned on.
- Helps improve indoor air quality and captures airborne allergens such as pollen, mold spores, dust mite debris, smoke, pet dander and smog from he air passing through the filter.
- Lasts up to 3 months for odor removal and particle capture for air passing through the filter.
- Retails at $15.99.
So you can see, the Odor Reduction filter has it all. It will work not only on the smells, but on our allergies as well. I’ve only had our Odor Reduction filter in for a couple of days but I can already tell a difference. The house definitely has a nicer, cleaner smell.
They are very easy to install. Our unit is in our tiny attic. All you do is align the arrow on the new filter and slide the new filter in. It is so easy and regular maintenance reduces stress on the system and reduces energy. So remember to change your filters frequently!
You can register to receive seasonal e-newsletters featuring special offers, filter change reminders, better home living tips, and more by visiting their website. Don't forget to you can follow your favorite brands like Filtrete on Facebook and Twitter.