Child Safety and Baby Proofing go hand in hand. We want our little ones to be safe. But there may be some things we don't know. Here are my tips for Baby Proofing. And an awesome giveaway from SANUS.
1. Get Down On Your Child's Eye Level: First thing you should do is get down on your hands and knees and see what is in your child's eye line. One of the things we think of as parents is the plug outlets, but what about those outlets that just have to have something plugged in it? I recently had the opportunity to test out the Secure-Connect Outlet Safety. I use my 'work' laptop in our living room because I seem to get more work done when I am on my laptop instead of the iPad. Issue: it needs a new battery so it has to stay plugged in. And although using my laptop is beneficial in one way, I worry that the girls will unplug it and some how hurt themselves. So I have seen many of the benefits of this unique safety item.
2. Think About The Next Stage: So your child's crawling, but what comes next? Pulling up. And oh that coffee table with jagged edges looks really great to use to pull up on, Mom! My friend Liz over at Funny PostPartum Lady shared a review of Roving Cove Safe Corner Cushion. What is so cool is they also make items for the fancy glass round table that you may have thought was a good idea when you bought your living room set.
3. Think About Daily Chores: Okay so you have to feed these people, right? And does your oven get hot? What about if they grab the handle. The toilet sure looks like fun to take a dive in. I am a HUGE fan of baby gates and shut doors with covers on the handles to solve these issues. We have a Summer Infant Sure & Secure Walk Thru gate for our kitchen. When I'm cooking, no little ones are allowed in. And as far as the covers on the door knobs, Hubby got over them quickly and realized they were a necessity, yours will too.
4. Consider a Curious Mind: Children get themselves in every kind of predicament you can imagine. So try and think on their level when baby proofing. Consider every detail and what they might use to put in their mouth, untie, wrap around, etc.
5. Look Up: What do you see? Ooo the bright colors on the TV sure look fun to try and touch!
For many Americans, a flat panel TV is a great way to enjoy family time and entertainment. However, most parents are unaware of the safety risks that flat panel TVs pose for kids. Due to increasing size and new ultra thin designs, today’s flat panel TVs can easily tip over when bumped or pulled, toppling off of furniture and causing injury or even death. In fact, A 2011 US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) report on flat panel TV safety revealed a child is killed every three weeks from an unsecured TV! Yes, killed! From a television falling on them. And, every 45 minutes a child visits an emergency room due to a TV tip-over related injury. Reported cases have increased almost 25% from 2006 to 2010, and over the last 10 years, injuries have increased by 31%.
SANUS, the leading designer and manufacturer of flat panel TV wall mounts, has partnered with Safe Kids Worldwide to bring this information to our attention. Their hope is that by educating consumers on the risk of unsecured flat panel TV’s, SANUS and Safe Kids Worldwide that the number of TV tip-over related injuries and fatalities is reduced.
The SANUS mounts have an easy 1, 2, 3 installation with a wall template to ensure even placement. They also share an online video walkthrough of simple installation available at any time. And there are no additional tools necessary – all required installation hardware is included in package!
If I haven’t convinced you, take a look at this video they created.
SANUS would like to offer one Nanny to Mommy readers a complimentary flat panel SANUS TV Tilting Mount. The reader can receive a mount that fits their respective TV. *Please note that this will not include the actual installation of the equipment.* Easy RaffleCopter entry of the giveaway. All entries are verified. Open to US only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway